[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Wagon train - Thaw Out!!

Wagon train

Getting to the playa by planes, trains and automobiles, or maybe your a hitchhiking hippie.
Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wagon train

Postby Sunbeam » January 17th, 2015, 11:55 am

MeatHunter, GC, and Sadie have talked about a wagon train across the lower States to TTITD.
2014 we took I-10 across New Mexico, then on to Kingman, AZ, then
North to Fernley.

chuckularone
Pan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Wagon train

Postby chuckularone » January 17th, 2015, 11:57 am

Well if the wagon train will be passing near (or through) Las Vegas. I'll hop on!
Pronounced: Chuck You Lar One
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

Remember kiddoes, If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » January 17th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Sounds like we got us a CONVOY!
W6BJD

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » January 17th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Can that wagon train go ahead and pick up the Lewis & Clark trail right here on the border between Oregon and Washington???

Please, I'll do dishes!

Make bad decisions, but don't play badminton with the birdie in the back.

lionsnzebras
There's No Place Like Home

Postby lionsnzebras » January 18th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Our route does not take us anywhere said train. But perhaps we can build one from Canada baby!

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » January 18th, 2015, 5:07 pm

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » January 19th, 2015, 7:37 am

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » January 27th, 2015, 11:15 pm

So I'm looking at all my options for travel. (Of which there are many)

1. Rent a car in Vancouver, first night rest. Portland, second night rest....??? some State Park.
2. rent a car in Victoria following the same as above but with $150 for ferries added on.
3. Fly down to reno, try foolishly to rent a car...get laughed at...take the burner express. Buy everything in a panic at the Walmart stop before the gates.
4. Something something something.... plan z

I don't necessarily WANT to drive that far. But not really an option from the island.
Stupid desert all the way in the middle of nowhere.

I'm used to driving 4 hours at a stretch. 8 is pushing it and 16 is going to challenge my resolve.

My plans are 2 extra days on each end of the event for travel.

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » January 28th, 2015, 4:33 am

Me, personally, I would need to have the whole thing under my control from doorway to doorway. I'd spring for the ferries. Its just the way I am wired.

Its axiomatic that the first time you trust the universe to do something for you, it will immediately teach you a lesson about misplaced trust. :mrgreen:

Put another way: the universe may indeed decide to revoke the laws of physics, but not when you are moving a grand piano up six flights of stairs!
"Look who is coming for dinner...!"

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » January 28th, 2015, 4:50 am

K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » January 28th, 2015, 7:00 am

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » January 28th, 2015, 8:30 am

Mel depending on how our plans end up, we can always meet you somewhere too if that is easier.
We are going to take a uhaul as well, so will have some space.

We can chat about it further if you wish. If not that is OK too.
I think we are going to hotel it in Idaho falls, not sure yet honestly.

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » January 28th, 2015, 10:47 am

Ya that's definitively the hole in all my plans. The getting there.

I will most likely rent in Victoria take the Vancouver ferry and drive onwards. To many x factors to go horribly wrong to save 200$. :-)

Kowtow, ya absolutely closer when we're all knowing or timings and arrival schedules. I will deff hit you up for my plans of arriving in Portland if they match up. Ea etc.. and all.

Lion, ya totally man, we'll chat. I would hate the drive less knowing I was in a convoy with or near others. But I know I'll be alright regardless.

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » January 28th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Booked my car in Victoria. Done and done.

Booked the black ball ferry to port Angeles from Victoria. Skip the customs nonsense do it on the boat at not at the gate :-)

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » January 28th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Forgive me if I didn't read somewhere else, but do you have a bike or is there extra gear you're worried about?

I usually make an annual pilgrimage to Vancouver, I have a wife who loves Richmond (aka Hong Kong, Vancouver), at least once a year. She has been wanting to hit Victoria, so we may do that this year sometime.

If you want I can haul some of your stuff with me to the playa. Especially if you have larger items that will be difficult (bike, yurt foam, art, etc.) to bring via automobile.

As we get closer we may wanna talk about your course down, but just briefly:
Take I-5 from Van, B.C. all the way to Eugene, Oregon.
Cut over south of Eugene to Hwy58 east
Catch Hwy97 south when 58 ends.
Once in Klamath Falls (Buy any major stuff here. Home Depot, Walmart, etc., last big town.)
Out of K. Falls, Hwy140, Hwy39, then once in Cali Hwy139 then 299 to Alturas, CA (Any shopping should be done here for say forgotten food items, etc.)
Then 299 east out of Alturas to Cederville. (Get your gas and last minute stuff at Rabbit Trax (gas and mini-mart), located just before you get into Cederville)
In Cederville turn Right at Main Street (also Hwy 1)
This becomes Hwy447 in Nevada and goes straight to Gerlach
Before you get into Gerlach you take "Transfer Station Road"
This merges with Hwy34 and just a right turn from there to the dust after 20 minutes or so.

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » January 28th, 2015, 11:24 pm

thanks man that's really nice of you, totally thoughtful.
that navigation will come in handy. it's a perfect map for my destination, really helpful. :)

Awww thanks dude, wicked offer. I think I'm okay for now. I've decided against the bike. I love walking. I do 2 hours a day on average...and I'm a shitty cyclist. Lol. Last time I rode a bike that didn't have some hot chick yelling at me to sweat the hill in a pack of stationaries in a gym basement was 20 years back. :lol:

But if you're ever on the island, I'd love to get a round of beers, shake a hand, welcome you to "slow-the-fuck--down" town.

We have a saying here.

Mellow out bro, this ain't the mainland...you're on island time. :)

Definitely a different vibe than Vancouver.

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » January 29th, 2015, 9:06 am

This is our planned route.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Spruce+G ... 39.6079683

I was planning on staying in Idaho falls then Fernley. But we were told Fernley is an absolute zoo on Saturday night and to stay in Winnemucca
Was thinking of taking the 49 across from Winnemucca but it increases the time to Empire by 2.25 hours...however..it might avoid a lot of traffic.

What are your thoughts? Never have driven that area of the US and very unfamiliar with it.

I think we need to take another good hard look at the route and plan the night stops better.

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » January 29th, 2015, 9:41 am

Side note, Lion, bro you getting a US call plan for your phone while you're down south?

I plan on it. At least we can call one another for support and directions on the long drive down?

Just thinking out loud.

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » January 29th, 2015, 9:46 am

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » August 23rd, 2015, 2:04 pm

Everyone post when they hit the road!
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

Return to “Traveling To and Fro”