[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Dusty Clothes - Instructables - Thaw Out!!

Dusty Clothes - Instructables

Okay this isn't where you talk about your cargo shorts and Coors light t-shirt.
This area is for everything from tutu's to cheetah paint and everything in between.
Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dusty Clothes - Instructables

Postby Melon » February 21st, 2015, 2:20 pm

So I will be making a day cloak - bedsheet linen. cuz I will FRY in the sun.

Vyn, this is the pattern I am working off of. Just using an old bed sheet that got torn from puppies bouncing around on the bed.

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dusty Clothes - Instructables

Postby GreyCoyote » February 21st, 2015, 3:14 pm

As long as you do this in white, you'll be good to go!
Any darker and you'll wind-up in the med tent in about an hour, tops. :mrgreen:

You could really go off and put blinkies and EL wire around the hood opening, sleeves, etc!
"Look who is coming for dinner...!"

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » February 21st, 2015, 3:56 pm

yup that's the plan - and it's pale linen/sand coloured.

I've had heat stroke before and 2nd degree sunburn that put me in hospital for 3 days when I was 10. Because of that I'm prone to skin splits due to the sun over my shoulders. It just blisters and splits open.

I'm very cautious about heat, clothing colours, UV protection (material and topical), always wear a hat or hood in full sun. on low UV days I still put sunblock in my hair to keep my scalp from burning. Sunglasses too.

My goal is to not even get pink! As a ginger - it's been a lifelong adjustment of what I can wear and how long I can be in full sun without protection.

Walked to a gas station a block from V's once...6 minutes...the only exposure I had were my forearms and I was torched.
I've crossed parking lots in summer and been burned before I got to my car.

So this stuff I don't take lightly :)

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » February 21st, 2015, 4:08 pm

Sorta puts a whole new spin on the term "Burner"!

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » February 21st, 2015, 4:18 pm

not getting pink will be a challenge, unless you pull a vampire schedule. ;)

Make bad decisions, but don't play badminton with the birdie in the back.

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Postby Sunbeam » February 22nd, 2015, 5:06 pm

Darling Melon. How much have you experimented with OTC sunscreens?
They range from5 to 40 - and that isn't a super exact setting.
Grey is a red... doesn't look it, but it in his genetics. When we went to Flipside, the EMS guys took an interest and suggested he do something before the lobster red turned into third degree burns.
Not an exaggeration.

The problem is... most of the sunscreen creams are antagonistic to him. He gets pimples... so we fought the cleanliness vs. holiness issue the whole trip.
We are still looking for a product that protects his skin, but causes no after issues.
Its a bad thing...

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » February 22nd, 2015, 6:59 pm

Oh absolutely.

Canada has taken a stance over anything marked over SPF 50, and there is national draft guidance on what chemicals to avoid due to low testing or egregious claims in protection where in truth their claim is unsubstantiated.

I've been experimenting for years. Well enough to know that a cream is not going to be enough protection. I won't be able to rely on something from a bottle to keep me safe. My lotion screen will amount to about 15% of my broad spectrum needs.

The rest has to be barrier protection; like clothing / hats / glasses.

The desert will be an experiment that I can't risk - so I HAVE to go with cloth barriers as a primary uv blocker over creams. (of course I'll still bring my arsenal - lol over 50% of my first aid kit IS sun related, aftercare, preventative, emergency water patches, second skin, blister gel, aloe vera gel)

My favorites are

Face - Aveno's Baby sunscreen is the only one that doesn't burn my eyes. So I like that one alot. It comes in Broad Spec 35+

Body - Kiss my Face - 40SPF Broad Spectrum, because of it's easy to read ingredients (and got the clearing of the toxic 10 from Health Canada)

It's really hard to find a good one that works for your skintype. I find I don't break out from the chemical screens, but I don't like them either.

Banana Boat makes a "natural - lol" one - it's not terribad and super easy to find.

I prefer mineral screens and even then Zinc over Titanium. It's a constant battle to find the "right one" for the "right situation". The all natural ones work fine for Canadian exposure - where we have an abundance of tree, cloud, shade cover. Plus in the rainforest we're rarely exposed skin wise - always raining :)

It sucks because experimenting with brands is a high cost adventure - shit ain't cheap. So I go with what I know works and if the situation for a week - DEMANDS a chemical screen - then I'll have to suck it up and go with it.

Safety Third!

lionsnzebras
There's No Place Like Home

Postby lionsnzebras » February 23rd, 2015, 9:33 am

zebra is allergic to anything with aloe in it, so we have to be careful what we buy or bring. Anything after sun will burn her skin!
Shes also allergic to latex, so even a band aid will leave marks.

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » February 23rd, 2015, 12:29 pm

Wow latex is such a shitty allergy to have, everything is latex. Is she alright with silicone?

And aloe! Man that's a brutal one too. Nearly every after sun is aloe based.

Solarcane? I'll have to check my med kit. Maybe I have alternatives

No sunburns for Zeebie!

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » February 23rd, 2015, 1:50 pm

I'm fine with silicone, saline.... or au natural. I'm a non-denominational type. :mrgreen:

Sadie
Journeyman

Postby Sadie » February 23rd, 2015, 6:18 pm

Hey Melon,
It IS possible to spend a week in the dust and not get sunburned. I burn really easy too but managed to avoid catastrophe in 2014. I watched for the UPV shirts to go on sale and got 3 or 4. Not the sexiest attire, but manufactured for hot weather and very effective for sun protection. They breathe and wick...available in a lot of colors. Might be worth checking out. Amazon, sporting goods stores...even Sam's Club had some last summer. Google "fishing clothes" and check em out.

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » March 21st, 2015, 7:24 pm

Got my fabric for my night hoodie!

was 2.49 a meter! so I'm off to sew

Will take photos and instructions as I go :)

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » March 23rd, 2015, 8:34 am

haha that looks awesome!

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » March 23rd, 2015, 4:58 pm

NightTime Hoodie Complete - (save for Darkwad Deterrents - adding lighting this weekend)

I made it without a pattern - and made it too big :P So I'm floating in it. Gonna put some darts in the back to take it in and a drawstring to pull it together.

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » March 24th, 2015, 6:05 am

That is so cool Melon! I want to try to make something like that.
W6BJD

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » March 24th, 2015, 7:09 am

its like little red riding hood, without the red, sweet.

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » March 24th, 2015, 7:38 am

Took less than an hour - really easy to make. You don't even need a pattern. Just a measuring tape.

I'm making a day-hoodie version too. With flat bedsheets from my futon (which just live in their coverbag..never used em - might as well put them to good use)

Most fabric at it's width is about 40" to 44" which is PLENTY for this project. I found mine at Fabricland (like Joanne's) on the clearance wall. Stiff Flannel is so easy to work with. It behaves perfectly for beginner sewers. Which I AM.

I made this with 2 yards of fabric. Have enough left over to make Jammie pants. Which I will do this weekend.

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » March 24th, 2015, 8:19 am

Could you make it into a cloak easily?

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » March 24th, 2015, 8:50 am

Oh ya,

Even easier.

Skip the arms step.

The end.

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » April 3rd, 2015, 9:26 am

and I made jammie pants with the remaining fabric.

No pattern I just turned some jammie pants inside out and traced the shape and stiched em together.

Return to “Wardrobe”