[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Commodification - Thaw Out!!

Commodification

This is where we allow everyone to post about the gripes they have with "The Man". This is meant to be a forum for discussion and not for defamation or making personal attacks about other posters or people in general.
Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Commodification

Postby Sunbeam » December 11th, 2014, 4:43 pm

ugh! This topic was a big deal on the BM Org board before the 2014 Burn. And since the scandals of the PNNPs, has been more so. You know, you can't really do TTITD unless you drink the koolaid. And I have struggled somewhat with the notion.

1) Unless you are self sufficient, which virtually no one is now days, you commodify. Going to the grocery store is commodification.

2) I think in the sense it is used - we are not concerned with commodification, but branding. Its not that everyone goes to the grocery store, its that some people take the BM logo and sell t-shirts, etc... basically advertising and providing an image or commodity that they don't create, don't own, and don't deserve. Larry doesn't create or fund most of BM. THe biggest events are off the grid. Ok, love the public art. But that is a smaller part of TTITD than the overall camping, gifting experience - any way that's what I think.

3) Branding/commodification is going to happen. Especially now that Larry thinks he is going to go worldwide - and has a non-profit corp to benefit. Welcome to Disneyworld. But its different. Disneyworld provides entertainment, and doesn't require that you bring your own entertainment. It remains to be seen if commodification and TTITD are compatible. Me - naw - I'm not going to allow photos of my luscious tits, or my camp, or my friends to be used for the benefit of the Larrys. They didn't bring me there, they didn't subsidize or help in any way. I don't feel any need to assist their commercial dreams, and don't necessarily agree with their goals.

4) That doesn't mean that TTITD is out. Quite the contrary. Its still a fun adventure, and since I'm still plugged into the original dream - still a worthwhile mental exercise.

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Commodification

Postby GreyCoyote » December 11th, 2014, 7:19 pm

For me the problem is someone else commodifying what doesnt belong to them, and making hush-hush backroom deals for tickets when the event is sold out.

Larry is a two-faced boot-licking asshole. He can stick his 10 Principles where the sun doesnt shine. The Chief Philosophical Officer is a laughingstock.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to seeing my friends in the dust. (And maybe demonstrating my new weedblower over by K. Hehehe)
"Look who is coming for dinner...!"

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » December 12th, 2014, 6:11 am

On the commodification front I feel like there is a very hypocritical stance by the Powers that be. The touting and the reiterations of the principles and what these are suppose to mean not only for TFTITD, but also year-round.

Behind the scenes I feel there is an extreme commodification going on for gain, profit and influence by exploiting from the "Principles." A part of me feels this is great seeing capitalism at work and see TFTITD become a windfall for those in control. They earned it right? They created this and who am I to say they shouldn't profit from it. The huge problem I see with this, is that they are trying to sell the goods to something they say they are opposed to.

My analogy would be like a sole-proprietor selling off a business that's been his passion for decades and selling it off under false pretenses. Communicating to the employee's this transition will be good for the stability of the company going forwards. This change will ensure the company culture will be preserved and the organization will be less susceptible to attrition thanks to the larger organization being able to shelter this small company from the bad times. Meanwhile, the owner truly realizes he has just sold out. He knows full well that this sell off will strip away the culture, principles and any semblance of what this business once was.

All for personal profit, gain and influence.

Make bad decisions, but don't play badminton with the birdie in the back.

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » December 12th, 2014, 6:23 am

But Larry really needs the money! And a good dental plan.
Pronounced: Chuck You Lar One
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

Remember kiddoes, If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » December 12th, 2014, 8:10 am

It was pointed out to me on eplaya that in recent mugshots, Fearless Leader Larry appears to have fixed his teeth.

Now if we can just get him into a more suave and debonaire hat... :mrgreen: Maybe something like the Robin Hood hat worn by Errol Flynn? LOL.

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Postby Sunbeam » December 12th, 2014, 10:25 am

Thats the theme for 2016. Profiting from the labors of the poor for the amusement of the hugely wealthy! Including a lion's den where non-compliant sherpas are thrown...

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » December 12th, 2014, 11:25 am

At my bar, anyone that has a wristband does NOT get a drink.
W6BJD

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » December 12th, 2014, 12:52 pm

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » December 12th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Yup. I think I'm going to setup a nice little bar right outside the guarded entrance to the comm camps and serve top shelf whiskey to anyone that does NOT have a wristband. That will be my "art".
W6BJD

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » December 12th, 2014, 3:45 pm

I may come visit you along with the other 20 members of the Black Rock City Precision Weedblower Drill Team & Dust Corps.

All that work makes for a powerful thirst. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Postby Sunbeam » December 12th, 2014, 6:37 pm

You saw the latest Jackrabbit benediction? Welcome to LarryWorld.

GaminWench
Feels Good

Postby GaminWench » December 13th, 2014, 10:51 pm

Hey, I was on the drill team (we called it corps) in High School/Uni :twisted: ; can I play?
I'm great with flags, rifles and fire toys ... and willing to practice with torture/edumacation device of your (Captain's) choice ...
YAY!

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » December 14th, 2014, 3:30 am

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » December 16th, 2014, 10:51 am

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » December 17th, 2014, 4:59 am

On the whole commodification thing, I really don't think it ever rose to the level of being noticed by me. I may have been joyfully oblivious, but I intend to repeat that as often as I can make it to the burn.

I'll leave the politics to the people who want to talk about/deal with the politics. I gave up on office politics a decade ago. people still try and drag me down with their intrigue about who's sleeping with who and who should have gotten that promotion, but didn't. The commodification argument feels like the same story. It only affects you if you let it. Granted if it goes unchecked tickets will become impossible to get and at that point I'll just close the chapter in my book called "Burning Man" and start writing a new chapter somewhere else.

I say let them hang themselves.

But that's just my opinion. As my ex-wives keep reminding me, it's always wrong.
Pronounced: Chuck You Lar One
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

Remember kiddoes, If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » December 17th, 2014, 8:26 pm

GaminWench
Feels Good

Postby GaminWench » January 4th, 2015, 11:12 pm

NO!

Let's do it again, in the dust.

Avoiding the ComCamps.
maybe torturing them.

If they're not your neighbors, they are somewhere. This is un-acceptable.
PURGE!!! :mrgreen:
YAY!

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » January 5th, 2015, 8:58 pm

We need to do it again and again... I won't rest until I know I'm seeing you all in the dust this year!!!

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » January 6th, 2015, 4:29 am

Lets binge and purge!!!

(Somehow that didnt come out right...) :mrgreen:

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Postby Sunbeam » January 6th, 2015, 3:22 pm

We will (most likely, absent a federal court assignment) be there. :)
Dear Sweet Kowtow...

Return to “Man Bitches”