KickYerAss Kitty: Shes Got Her Gimp On

Stop in...
Tell us about your day!
GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

KickYerAss Kitty: Shes Got Her Gimp On

Postby GreyCoyote » July 31st, 2015, 2:43 pm

Out at the horse barn a stray Mama cat had a litter of kittens several months ago. She relocated all of them except one, which, after a day or two of abandonment, got our standard support agreement: "we will feed, water, and pet, and in return you need to find a job to do. You shall have a home for life, however short that life may be". She took us up on it, and in two weeks the feed room, previously overrun with mice, was devoid of the little vermin. And KYAK was gaining weight nicely. :mrgreen:

The country is brutal. Things die here all the time. You try not to get hugely attached to critters because the carbon cycle always wins. Its just a matter of time.

So its BRUTALLY hot here, somewhere north of 100F and 75% humidity. I hadnt seen my horse all day and went looking for her. She was camped-out in the barn. No fool, that one. And in the process, here comes KickYerAss Kitty. Noiseless as always, but hugging the wall, which isnt her usual approach. We call her KickYerAss for a reason. She swats at everything, including the horses. She RULES that barn. Even the horses are a bit cowed by her antics.

She was limping. Badly. Passenger side front leg broken. Shit.

So we take her home, Beams gets out the Burningman med kit and makes a splint. KYAK doesnt make a peep. Tough cat! And as soon as the splint was on, KYAK got a belly full of food, took a few opportune swings at the dogs, and crashed-out for a nap.

I like this cat. :) And she is SO going to kick my ass... :lol:
"Look who is coming for dinner...!"

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Re: KickYerAss Kitty: Shes Got Her Gimp On

Postby Sunbeam » July 31st, 2015, 3:25 pm

She's a good cat. Quiet, no-drama (except what she induces).
She isn't particularly sensitive, just won't bear weight. And she isn't particularly swollen.
So we will spoil her for a couple of days and see what gives.

As part of the weekend chores, I shop for critter food every Saturday. In come bales of hay. We always get an extra to leave in the middle aisle of the barn. So KYAK dominates the bale.
Of course, the horses, somewhere around 1,596 pounds heavier!, have to take a bit - she swats them away. :lol:

Melon
Crotchedy Olde Bastard

Postby Melon » July 31st, 2015, 3:44 pm

Ah barn cats.

The eater of mice and breakers of many hearts with their unpredictable life spans.

My mom has a hard time visiting the farm because of the mortality rate of...well....everything

If it were up to my mom, the local big animal vet would be there daily saving kittens and chicks. :)

Im not much better :) i do tend to cry when a calf doesn't make it. Only cuz my in laws work so hard to have healthy moos.

lionsnzebras
There's No Place Like Home

Postby lionsnzebras » August 1st, 2015, 7:36 am

Grey\Beams, some day I would love to come and visit. I have not spent much time on a farm, but would gladly trade shade\food for a little work. Even if it was my "vacation" time.

We are thinking of moving further out of town now, into a dome house of course hahaha.
But I have seen them barn cats, mostly when visiting cousins and what not.

I used to know a 5 toed cat named bob (short for bitch of course) and he drew blood a few times, only because I did not acknowledge him as I walked into the kitchen. He was barn born, and house raised.....but the wild never leaves them.

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Postby Sunbeam » August 1st, 2015, 7:54 am

At the Vet. Overnight my nearly blind, nearly deaf, nearly dead, but happily rotund, 14 year old dog broke into the crate, to eat Kyak's food. So she was loose, and i watched her some more. Definately broken. Needs a better cast.

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » August 1st, 2015, 10:04 am

Lion: do some careful research on dome houses before seriously considering this. It can be done spectacularly well, or spectacularly poorly. :mrgreen:

Most domes leak because the builders try to think in terms of conventional "walls" and "roof". In fact the entire structure is a roof ranging from zero pitch to vertical. That always causes problems conceptually and in execution by the various trades who think they "know better". Also, the way a dome sheds load is just completely opposite of the way tradesmen think it should work. (Compressive forces on a dome produce radially expansive forces at the base, while lifting forces on the structure create radially compressive forces on the base ring).

I've played with designs for this type of home, and the one I liked best was a concrete semi-dome that had an earthern cover on all sides except the (truncated) front, which was mostly glass. Very energy efficient, and done the way I was designing it, the core areas would be highly resistant to blast and radiation (dont ask).

Btw: thread drift. :lol:
"Look who is coming for dinner...!"

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Postby Sunbeam » August 1st, 2015, 10:20 am

Whoa, Grey - thread drift!
KYAK had a severely dislocated wrist. She's in a splint. Condemned to 4 weeks of in house spoilage.

lionsnzebras
There's No Place Like Home

Postby lionsnzebras » August 1st, 2015, 12:35 pm

Grey perhaps create a separate thread on dome house design hehe. I have lots of ideas.

Been looking at land most recently, its stupid expensive 10k - 150k Acre.

xzlostzx
Journeyman

Postby xzlostzx » August 1st, 2015, 7:10 pm

I am sure Kyak will be back to new before no time at all. A bunch of tlc will do her good. :)

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Postby Sunbeam » August 3rd, 2015, 4:58 am

KYAK is adjusting to being jailed inside the house pretty well. The dogs all think she will eat them and avoid her. She's a bottomless appetite. Yesterday went thru 4 cans of catfood - nearly her body weight.

Return to “The Bar”