2014 entrance

Advice and stories from the Gate
Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

2014 entrance

Postby Sunbeam » January 18th, 2015, 4:27 pm

Last year (2014) GC and I left a day early becuz the power went out in ALL of Danbury, and the office had to shut down. So we arrived a day early too.
We spent the early day driving up to Gerlach and looking out across the great playa to see BM in the distance - a big cloud of dust with the Man barely visible.
Gave me time to stop and chat with the Indian Taco lady - she taught me how to make Fry bread. I wish we had hung out there more.
We met the Lead for Death Barbie Camp (what is that asshole's name) at the Indian Taco stand - he was coming in a day early. That was pleasant.
We scoped out the gypsy village in Gerlach, but didn't stay. We should have spent a bit more time - but the traffic was already a hassle. There were ladies clad in underwear with signs asking for tix, haunting the edges of the roads. There were EL sellers, costume vendors, and various other exentric vendors in the gypsy village - we didn't stop long enough to do anything but acknowledge their presence.
I would like to stop and see what all that bazaar entails. Its not under the BMORG control, so it could be anything.
We had to go back for another hot shower and civilized dinner - cuz we didn't have Early Arrival passes.
The next day we got through and arrived before the rain.
It was good timing. :)

GaminWench
Feels Good

Re: 2014 entrance

Postby GaminWench » January 18th, 2015, 4:32 pm

BDC lead's name is Doc Pyro, and you're right, he's an asshole.
YAY!

kowtow
Camera Hideout

Postby kowtow » January 19th, 2015, 8:43 pm

I'm torn between arriving early and actually just being a part of chaos during the normal gate entrance. Part of me wants a little bit of traffic, but I don't want to wait for 10 hours or something crazy like that.

I'd also like to avoid assholes, other than my own. I have a certain connection with my asshole that I'd like to maintain.
Make bad decisions, but don't play badminton with the birdie in the back.

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » January 20th, 2015, 4:51 am

The traffic on 447 was slow and occasionally stopped. once we got through all of the places to stop and buy stuff in Empire and Gerlach it was a slow (rarely stopped) crawl up 34 until I turned off of the blacktop and I was in camp about 40 minutes later.

The whole experience was good. I knew it would be slow. It was. I met a bunch of very happy people on the road. Never saw them again the entire time in BRC.
Pronounced: Chuck You Lar One
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

Remember kiddoes, If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

lionsnzebras
There's No Place Like Home

Postby lionsnzebras » January 20th, 2015, 7:40 am

kowtow wrote:I'm torn between arriving early and actually just being a part of chaos during the normal gate entrance. Part of me wants a little bit of traffic, but I don't want to wait for 10 hours or something crazy like that.

I'd also like to avoid assholes, other than my own. I have a certain connection with my asshole that I'd like to maintain.

I would love early entrance. If we get placed do we have that option? Gives us time to get settled and familiar with the landscape, acclimatized too.
Would be nice to spend some time with you guys, before things get out of control hehe.

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » January 20th, 2015, 7:59 am

In 2013, I hit the traffic right about Nixon and was in line for 14 hours. It was brutal. Last year I had early entry and didn't hit traffic till gate where there were about 5 cars ahead of me. The wait was about 15 minutes. Early entry is the way to go but you'll work your ass off setting everything up. Totally worth it IMHO. This year, no early entry so I think I'm going to wait till Monday to hit the road.
W6BJD

lionsnzebras
There's No Place Like Home

Postby lionsnzebras » January 20th, 2015, 8:23 am

Part of me wants to, part of me has already bitten off a huge chunk of adventure. Torn.....

Return to “Entrance & Exodus”