Dome home

General Discussion
lionsnzebras
There's No Place Like Home

Dome home

Postby lionsnzebras » August 1st, 2015, 1:31 pm

We have been thinking of selling our house, yup we only been here a year, but its just um....ok. The reality is, its still 4 years out.

While we like being in the city, its nice being 25 minutes out of the big city. So We were thinking of moving further out. Something more private.
Then the house design thing came up, we both like the ideas of being off grid. Something economical and sustainable.
Square sucks.....

http://www.monolithic.org has some great ideas and I have a ton of ideas.

Land as always gets more expensive the closer to a city\town you become.
Services get more expensive to install the further out you get.
The further out you get, the less services that become available and the more self reliant you need to be.

I dont know anything about engineering or building a big ass project like this. There are permits, money, banking, engineering, land acquisition etc.
I do know that land is between 10-50k acre here. I think 2 should be fine, depending on the size of the dome(s)
Already I have an idea for 1x 50 ish feet (Living), 1x 20 ish feet (services such as power, water and waste(before it goes to septic field)), and 1x 30 ish feet. (Garage) all connected by tunnel.

I think I am going to start with some reading.

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Re: Dome home

Postby GreyCoyote » August 1st, 2015, 2:23 pm

Sounds like a heck of a nice way to start a joirney, Lion!

FWIW, we have been talking about taking Beams completely off the grid. The only connection she has left is electricity, and the price of solar is down to about a buck a watt, so this is looking more possible every day.

The only challenge is using the power when there is extra. If you dont use it, you lose it, except for whatever you pump into lead/acid storage. To this end we are looking at smart automation. I code like a demon, did control systems for decades in a previous life, and see this as a challenge: ie, we have sun and lots of spare kilowatts. Lets fill the ponds (well pump on), and run the A/C. Cloudy day? Stick with refrigeration/freezers and cycle as cloud cover permits. Incorporate weather/temp based look-ahead using the hourly XML data sets from NOAA.

This could be fun! :mrgreen:
"Look who is coming for dinner...!"

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » August 2nd, 2015, 6:35 am

I've looked at monolithic's methods before and frankly it terrifies me. Yes, they've had lots of successes with many buildings, but spray concrete? I've worked as a mason a very long time ago. pump mix is thin enough that if it weren't used in every single concrete building over 3 stories tall I would have my reservations about it as well.

From what I've read, the monolithic method uses styrofoam as an aggregate. Personally, I prefer the tensile strength of stone to that of styrofoam...

Just some thoughts. I absolutely love their designs.
Pronounced: Chuck You Lar One
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

Remember kiddoes, If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » August 2nd, 2015, 6:58 am

We were talking and dreaming over a date night dinner....Love that woman..

Half the dome will be arboretum, we will grow fruits and such. Lemons, Limes
We have a secret room planned, hidden by a water fall.

One thing we struggle with is the volume of glass......Its going to get hot. Will have to add this stuff into the house dream book, do a whack of reading over a year or so....and talk with a engineering company (home builder or a real engineering company?)

A stream planned, hot tub area, fishes in our stream.
A real shop for me to build stuff in...

Then she casually mentions...what about moving to Mexico....or the US where its warmer.....I shrug hehe. It would be more expensive to build in Mexico hahahahaha import of materials.

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » August 2nd, 2015, 12:47 pm

Dream big! But consider making your arboretum a separate dome entirely. Humidity will be killer. Plants will love it, but you dont want 90F and 90% RH air in the living space (or if you do, just move to Houston and open a window! LOL).

The 20 foot dome we are bringing to TTITD will eventually be repurposed into Beams garden for her rainforest plants: orchids, staghorns, etc. It will work very well for this. I know when we set the dome up on the grass, as soon as the cover goes on it gets unbearably humid inside. (This was why we made our sides so they could be rolled-up and also designed-in provisions for a big ceiling fan at the apex: ventilation!)
"Look who is coming for dinner...!"

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » August 2nd, 2015, 1:28 pm

I love 90 F, just not 90 RH hehe.

More interestingly I am curious as to how it would be in our winters. An Avg of -20C to -40 c Ish..... Dont forget we have winter here 6-7 months a year.

Return to “General”