The daily brag

General Discussion
GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Re: The daily brag

Postby GreyCoyote » April 17th, 2015, 7:55 pm

According to Centerpoint Energy, our town has 1040 "smart" meters. Of those, presently 1022 are dark. (By a really odd coincidence, our office, the kolache shop next door, and the steak house next to that are all I can see that have grid power!). Beams house and my house, and the entire rest of the town is without grid power.

Out of curiosity I drove the town and surrounding areas. The place looks like Beirut after a good shelling with trees down, ditches overflowing, and people looking at damage with that 1000 yard stare. Only three locations have self-generated power: Mine, Beams, and the fire station.

Just to be an asshole, I turned-on our outside lights, cranked-up the A/C, and made it a point to look smug. (Is that wrong? LMAO!!!) :mrgreen:

The guts of Beams transfer switch is sitting on my workbench, so switchover to backup took some manual intervention. She will run on genny all night or until I get over there in the AM to take her back to grid when it comes up. I'm in a holding pattern here. Mine will shut-off automatically when power returns, but I want to babysit it just because I'm wired that way. Hehehehe.

Edited to add: I couldn't figure-out what all the lights and sirens were, so I went walking down the block. Turns-out my 2-doors-down neighbor died. Very strange circumstances. He apparently needed batteries, got in his truck, backed-up, ended-up stuck in the ditch, got out of the truck, walked to his kitchen and collapsed on the floor... dead. His wife found him 10 minutes later. He had been feeling poorly for a few days. Not bad... just sickie and "not right". The cops are handling it like a crime scene. The truck is still in the ditch, utility power is out, and half the town is standing around looking grim. Icky... :(
"Look who is coming for dinner...!"

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » April 18th, 2015, 6:49 pm

24 hours later, we finally have stable power at my house. It's been a zoo. And for the FIRST time in recorded history, Beams had grid power before I did! That threw me for a loop. The power gods are capricious!

We clocked another 20 hours on each of the gennys, burned some dino-fuel, made a bit of noise, and now the neighbors positively hate me for having cold beer and AC when they were camping by candlelight in their homes. :mrgreen: A few dug-out their gennys after daybreak hit this morning, but it was amazing how few there really were. Most everyone has a generator around here, but this caught a lot of folks by surprise. They are used to having some warning so they can pre-stage their backup power, ala hurricanes. For most, no warning meant no power.

Fun factoid: there were reports of THREE INCH hail stones locally. I saw a car this afternoon that looked like it was attacked by an army of chimpanzees wielding ball-peen hammers. I lost three windows here, but never saw anything bigger than one inch.

So... more weather tonight! We will see what mischief this way comes! :roll:

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » April 19th, 2015, 5:57 am

Shame you didn't wait until now to burn off the old fuel. ;-)
Pronounced: Chuck You Lar One
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

Remember kiddoes, If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » April 19th, 2015, 6:26 am

Chuck: yup! :lol:
Beams main tank is just about dry with less than 10 gals left. The main tank at my house is 7/8ths full. As soon as I can get the truck in there without getting stuck in the mud, Beams gets refilled. If something happens between now and then, I can just sneakernet 6-gal jerrycans. Two of those is 24 hours of runtime. :lol:

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Postby Sunbeam » April 20th, 2015, 5:58 pm

I'm still beaming becuuz the genny systems did so well. Coyote designed this system with so many backups and safeguards... :)
I'm one proud Sunbeam.

Today is the first day of a fully powered resuming of the normal we call "normal".
The oak tree in the back that was pushed over by the wind has been straightened up. I don't have much hope for it. Too much damage to the roots. But you gotta give it a chance.
Three chickens died - they are so very resilient, until they are not.

Coyote lost a whole side of the house in windows. But no broken glass. It broke the frames, which will make them leak.
There was a line, about four blocks long, where the wind pushed over everything in a line - and just missed Coyote's house.
A different neighbor... a HUGE pecan tree was uprooted and fell on the house - lost about a third of his roof.

I guess that's why we live here - the excitement. (HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH)

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » April 20th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Massive thunder rolling through. Tornado warnings abound. I'm not too worried. Happens all the time around here.
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

lionsnzebras
There's No Place Like Home

Postby lionsnzebras » April 21st, 2015, 7:42 am

Beams where do you guys live if you dont mind me asking. Sounds a little rough out there, but I guess thats why your so self reliant.

Us city folk aint that smart, but I am working on it. We live in Spruce Grove Alberta, we moved out there to get out of the city, the City is nice to visit but im sick of living here. The smaller town is nice, people are a little more welcoming and open. My next house will be a bungalow further out.

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » April 21st, 2015, 8:33 am

We are 40 miles due south of Houston, Texas and 17 miles from the nearest Starbucks :lol:

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » April 21st, 2015, 8:55 am

Grey,

haha im slow. I saw Danbury a few times and totally forgot.

I guess the starbucks is in Angleton hey? hhaha.

1700 population in DB, Spruce grove is about 29k or so.... still too dang big!

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » April 21st, 2015, 10:21 am

You may live in the sticks if your address includes the term "mile marker #XX"

You may live in the sticks if you have to turn onto the dirt road a mile past Bubba's house to get to yours.
W6BJD

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » April 21st, 2015, 10:27 am

Now you're talking about the ranch!
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » April 21st, 2015, 1:17 pm

chuckularone wrote:Massive thunder rolling through. Tornado warnings abound. I'm not too worried. Happens all the time around here.

Tornados... Now thats got pucker-factor. Be safe, Hermano!

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » April 21st, 2015, 2:33 pm

We're having some pretty bad weather here in California as well. It was cloudy this morning and the sun didn't come out till about noon. It was so cold that I almost had to wear long pants to work. ;)
W6BJD

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » April 21st, 2015, 2:33 pm

TT120 wrote:We're having some pretty bad weather here in California as well. It was cloudy this morning and the sun didn't come out till about noon. It was so cold that I almost had to wear long pants to work. ;)

hey you guys need rain, in a bad, bad way. I think...right across the whole state?

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » April 21st, 2015, 2:39 pm

Yeah, we need water REAL bad. I've been conserving as much as I can but it kind of pisses me off when I see most of my neighbors watering their lawn every day (you're only supposed to water 2 days a week) and the water is just running down the gutter. Most people I've talked to are not interested in conserving water, "That's for everyone else to do. Not me. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let my lawn die" People are so self absorbed around here.
W6BJD

GaminWench
Feels Good

Postby GaminWench » April 21st, 2015, 3:00 pm

In our little town, the neighbors will shame you if you have a green lawn.
A dirty car gets you regular thumbs up.
Right this moment everyone is eagerly setting out water catchment barrels in hopes of rain over the next couple of days.
Of course, I live in a new age, hippie, artistic, activist village that takes the environment very seriously.
YAY!

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » April 21st, 2015, 3:39 pm

TT120 wrote:We're having some pretty bad weather here in California as well. It was cloudy this morning and the sun didn't come out till about noon. It was so cold that I almost had to wear long pants to work. ;)

Must. Kill. You... (For making me laugh so hard!) :mrgreen:

Sunbeam
Inari Kitsune

Postby Sunbeam » April 21st, 2015, 6:57 pm

Yah - try a condensate collector.
I'm serious.

We live in the Gulf Coast - the middle of Texas, south of EAST texas, and North of SOUTH texas. Multiple hurricane threats - nearly every year. Only a few actual hurricanes, but they are bad enough to plan around for the rest of the time.

Danbury is on the edge of the grid. We are the LAST to get service. So we are the last to get repairs. Its pretty important if you have a tech heavy biz to have access, without depending on the grid. Beginning in 2005 we started putting gennys on all the major pieces. Coyote has a genny at his house, I have one at my house, and there is one on the office.
We have wells at every place. The one at the office hasn't been used in awhile, but we could put it in practice pretty quickly if we want to.

WAter, power, and a pantry full of nummies... we're set. :)

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » April 22nd, 2015, 5:39 am

I love where I am. I am sitting between the state's largest mall and the state's largest hospital with a power substation completing the triangle. Both the mall (they take their "tax free" shopping seriously in Delaware) and the hospital are also fed from separate secondary substations. I know the hospital has over 100 hours of diesel fuel as well, but they don't like to use it.

If the power goes out, I usually don't even have to worry about the fridge.

I think the longest power outage in the past 5 years since I moved in was just over an hour. Enough time to get bored, drive up to the brewpub, check the power company app and see that power was back.

:-)

Now if Zombies attack, I'm screwed, but that's a risk I'll take.
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

lionsnzebras

Postby lionsnzebras » April 22nd, 2015, 8:27 am

GaminWench wrote:In our little town, the neighbors will shame you if you have a green lawn.
A dirty car gets you regular thumbs up.
Right this moment everyone is eagerly setting out water catchment barrels in hopes of rain over the next couple of days.
Of course, I live in a new age, hippie, artistic, activist village that takes the environment very seriously.

Oh but dont forget that capturing water in some states can get you in jail, yup for capturing water, even in a rain barrel. Apparently some states think that they own rain. I guess the idea is that the rain belongs to everyone?

Return to “General”