Handheld for the playa

A place to ham it up!
GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Re: Handheld for the playa

Postby GreyCoyote » July 27th, 2016, 4:51 am

GaminWench wrote:eldergeekAZ, we refer to TT120 as titty 'round these parts. :twisted:

Or Mr. Titty. (If you are a big believer in TITles. Hehehe) :mrgreen:
"Look who is coming for dinner...!"

chuckularone
Pan

Postby chuckularone » July 27th, 2016, 6:17 am

GreyCoyote wrote:
GaminWench wrote:eldergeekAZ, we refer to TT120 as titty 'round these parts. :twisted:

Or Mr. Titty. (If you are a big believer in TITles. Hehehe) :mrgreen:

I need to insert a rim-shot followed by a groan here, but I don't know how to embed sound. ;-)
Pronounced: Chuck You Lar One
K4JPE (nee KF4JPE)

Remember kiddoes, If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

Captain Goddammit
Apprentice

Postby Captain Goddammit » July 27th, 2016, 6:40 am

I asked a serious question and all I'm getting is a bunch of talk about tits.
I like this joint.

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » July 27th, 2016, 8:51 am

Beavis: "He said 'Tits'!"
Butthead: "Heh. He said 'Joint'".

Sorry. Couldnt resist quoting my peer group. :lol:

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » July 27th, 2016, 9:09 am

He said "serious" HAHAHAHA!!!

I'll go back and see if I can answer your question Capt'n....
W6BJD

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » July 27th, 2016, 9:15 am

I'll post up a .csv file y'all can import into your Baofengs. It has all the MURS, FRS, GMRS, and the local amateur repeaters in it. We can set up and program the cross band repeater freq's when we get there. I'll bring my little Surface Pro to help get er dun.

On a side note, I'm really looking forward to getting a ride on the yacht. My first MV experience! Fuck yeah!
W6BJD

Captain Goddammit
Apprentice

Postby Captain Goddammit » July 27th, 2016, 9:25 am

All I want in my radios is whatever we are actually going to use between our camp people and maybe I'll keep MURS 5 with tone 97.4 for BRC Emergency Services.
Anything else is junk to scroll through and get lost in, probably by someone completely unfamiliar and uninterested in radio itself.
The one I carry myself can have everything in it, but the others need to be as dummy-proof as possible.

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » July 27th, 2016, 9:33 am

We can get that dun.
W6BJD

eldergeekaz
Apprentice

Postby eldergeekaz » July 27th, 2016, 1:13 pm

I'll have my laptop too. My pile of radio stuff should be here tomorrow. :geek:
No longer a Birgin. Now I know everything. :roll:
Camp2 - Doin' What we Do!

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » July 27th, 2016, 9:55 pm

This is the .csv file you can import to your little Baofengs. Check them out and add any you want and repost. It will be good if we all have the same channels in our radios.
Attachments
BM2016-F9.zip
W6BJD

Captain Goddammit
Apprentice

Postby Captain Goddammit » July 28th, 2016, 6:20 am

If I'm reading that correctly, the tones for MURS 4 (Artery) and MURS 5 (BRC Emergency Services) need to be changed to 97.4

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » July 28th, 2016, 7:54 am

Thats probably true. I haven't had a chance to check it all out.
W6BJD

eldergeekaz
Apprentice

Postby eldergeekaz » July 28th, 2016, 2:07 pm

Thanks for the list Titty..... :)

Mine is on the charger. I'm brushing up up on terminology, repeater setup/operation/use/etiquette , etc. :ugeek:

eldergeekaz
Apprentice

Postby eldergeekaz » July 29th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Looking over your freq list I have a question or two or more. Some dumb, some not as dumb... :oops:

Are the channel selections you have (0,1,2,3,4,etc), in an order based on personal preference or is there a 'loose' standard for assigning channels to freqs? For example does most everyone set channel '0' to 146.520 or everyone does it different?

Same question for MURS, FRS, GMRS freqs. Are these channel assignments common to most operators?

Are freqs 147.56 & 446 other Simplex freqs we can use? Similar to the NATSimplex call 146.520?

Are the two BRC freqs (chans 3 & 4) used by Burning Man or are they Repeaters around BRC.

Is KD7YIM a buddy you chat with locally? Or GC, or Chuck?

Are the two BLM freqs, (chans 126 & 127) National or local to BRC area.

Took a little bit to get through the correct COM port and talk to the radio. Pulled down the radio base settings. Looking things over and getting ready to upload Titty's file after the above questions are answered. This is a sweet little radio! :ugeek:

Question about antenna location. I found a spot on the CamelBak to clip the radio, with handheld routed up over the shoulder strap and clips about collar bone high. At this radio location the 771 antenna sits with the tip about head high right of my shoulder blade. Is this an issue blasting 1,5,or 8watts of BAOFENG power through my brain? LOL :D Do I need the longer antenna roaming the playa or will the shorter stock one do the job?

EDIT: Back with more.

Am I correct that If I want weather, marine or rail freqs I just enter them in the memory list? Should I set up 'block ranges' for each 'group' to make it easier to find? Marine range 900-999, weather range 800-899 for example. (I realize there may not be 100 channels for each group.)

What do you set you VOX trip value at when you are using it? If you use it.... Headset or handheld?

I need to read some more about the different settings in CHIP. Lots to play with....... ;)

TT120
Rubber Side Down

Postby TT120 » July 29th, 2016, 4:51 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:Looking over your freq list I have a question or two or more. Some dumb, some not as dumb... :oops:

Are the channel selections you have (0,1,2,3,4,etc), in an order based on personal preference or is there a 'loose' standard for assigning channels to freqs? For example does most everyone set channel '0' to 146.520 or everyone does it different?

Just personal preference. The actual "channel" doesn't really matter. I just set them up that way.

eldergeekaz wrote:Same question for MURS, FRS, GMRS freqs. Are these channel assignments common to most operators?

Same thing although the MURS CH 1 is the same frequency everywhere, the actual channel in the radio makes no difference.

eldergeekaz wrote:Are freqs 147.56 & 446 other Simplex freqs we can use? Similar to the NATSimplex call 146.520?

Yes. We can also go to any open frequency and talk simplex. I just set those up since they are common simplex frequencies.

eldergeekaz wrote:Are the two BRC freqs (chans 3 & 4) used by Burning Man or are they Repeaters around BRC.

EDIT:
Ch 3 and 4 are two more amateur repeaters that cover the BRC area. I didn't get the call signs of those two so I just called them BRC.

eldergeekaz wrote:Is KD7YIM a buddy you chat with locally? Or GC, or Chuck?

KD7YIM is the callsign of the owner of that particular repeater that covers the BRC area. I don't know him.

eldergeekaz wrote:Are the two BLM freqs, (chans 126 & 127) National or local to BRC area.

Those are 2 frequencies I heard some activity on in 2014 so I included them. They are registered to the BLM according to the FCC database. I don't know what they're used for or even if they will be used at all this year. Most of the official radios in use by LEO's out there are trunking systems these days.

eldergeekaz wrote:Took a little bit to get through the correct COM port and talk to the radio. Pulled down the radio base settings. Looking things over and getting ready to upload Titty's file after the above questions are answered. This is a sweet little radio! :ugeek:

Question about antenna location. I found a spot on the CamelBak to clip the radio, with handheld routed up over the shoulder strap and clips about collar bone high. At this radio location the 771 antenna sits with the tip about head high right of my shoulder blade. Is this an issue blasting 1,5,or 8watts of BAOFENG power through my brain? LOL :D Do I need the longer antenna roaming the playa or will the shorter stock one do the job?

The higher you can get the antenna, the better. As far as blasting your brain with RF power......well, I'ts probably not good for you but we're only going to be doing it for a week and the actual transmit duty cycle is pretty short.
As far as antennas go, the longer and/or higher the better. I don't know if the short antenna will cover all the Playa. There are too many variables so some experimentation is in order. Setting up a cross band repeater would help the range for all the handhelds in our group.

eldergeekaz wrote:EDIT: Back with more.

Am I correct that If I want weather, marine or rail freqs I just enter them in the memory list? Should I set up 'block ranges' for each 'group' to make it easier to find? Marine range 900-999, weather range 800-899 for example. (I realize there may not be 100 channels for each group.)

Yes. I like to try to sort groups by usage into groups but whatever floats your boat.

eldergeekaz wrote:What do you set you VOX trip value at when you are using it? If you use it.... Headset or handheld?

Never used it. Probably have to experiment with that.

eldergeekaz wrote:I need to read some more about the different settings in CHIP. Lots to play with....... ;)

Most of all that you wont use.......

EDIT: Looks like the CHIRP file needs some tweaking and we can add more channels as well.
Last edited by TT120 on July 29th, 2016, 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
W6BJD

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » July 29th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Quick note: vox at BM is a bad idea. The radio will key up everytime an art car goes by, and it'll false constantly at Robot Heart, Districk, et al. Or whenever the wind blows, which is 95% of the time.

eldergeekaz
Apprentice

Postby eldergeekaz » July 29th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Thanks TT!! Agreed. All the setting are like a new stereo. Spend two days reading everything, trying different setups and configs to get it 'just right'. Then forget it all by the time you have to move it & set it up again.

CG, the VOX question was more for dunin'. Me and my buddy are the only ones left riding quads. Everyone moved to Side by Sides. Which have radios, headsets, tunes, etc. I am hoping the VOX on this radio is better then all the other wannabe's we've tried over the years. We've always had a problem with motor noise tripping VOX. Or we crank it up then we had to yell 'SHIT' or 'CHECK' or some other word, really loud to open the mic, then talk. It was interesting watching someone do this. LOL

eldergeekaz
Apprentice

Postby eldergeekaz » July 31st, 2016, 9:26 am

Can I assume we can have a mini orientation class when we get out there? I got a good handle on how to set it up, add/remove channels, move around on the keypad, etc. I have been scanning & bouncing through channels here and its dead. (TT's list) I get a few rookies like me, or testers, keying up now and again. No one saying anything but the mic is keyed. I have not set up any of the repeaters around the valley, (of which there are many!!) Maybe that's why I am not hearing anyone.

I was hoping to listen to some Hams jabbering so I can get a handle on the edicate and style. I got the CB style down. LOL Just like CGD!! ;)
Not being a 'Tech' yet, does one fake it, or embrace the bootleg and jabber away? HA!
CQ, CQ, 0U812 lookin'..... sic ...... :twisted:

The stock batt will go almost 24hrs on standby. I left it on all day yesterday/& night, it was dead when I woke up today. More then enough for how I plan to use it on the deck & dunes.

GreyCoyote
Soooper Genius

Postby GreyCoyote » July 31st, 2016, 6:25 pm

EG: send me your city and I'll send you some freqs of repeaters close by that you can listen to.

I suggest that in Defaultia you do not attempt to go rogue. Amateurs have a long and successful history of policing their own ranks. If you fail to ID, after a couple of times they will know, and then they will hunt you. Or if you use someone elses callsign, they get REALLY pissy.

On the playa however, its a different story. As long as you dont be an asshat, nobody will really care.

eldergeekaz
Apprentice

Postby eldergeekaz » August 1st, 2016, 11:25 am

True, we used to hunt asshats down on CB too. I plan to get the tech license after BM as I want to use these on the sand this winter too! :ugeek:

Return to “Amateur Radio”